Michael Porter Jr. Wants Washington Release, Names four Schools

Nathan Hale’s Michael Porter Jr. (Photo: Gregory Payan, Associated Press)
Michael Porter Jr. wants out of his scholarship at Washington.
“I don’t know if we’ve asked yet because my dad is handling everything, but I’m definitely requesting a release,” Porter said Wednesday after being named the Gatorade National Boys Basketball Player of the Year. “It’s coming.”
A week ago, Washington fired head men’s basketball coach Lorenzo Romar following a disappointing 9-22 season with the Huskies.

“I was so shocked,” Porter said. “I thought they’d at least give him next year with the special class we had coming in. They obviously saw it another way. That hurt me.”
Makes sense since Romar wasn’t just Porter’s future coach, he’s also his godfather.
Also, Porter’s father, Mike Sr., was hired as an assistant coach for the Huskies last year.
Until the release is granted, Porter isn’t permitted to have contact with potential colleges.
That said, Porter, who is ranked No. 1 overall in the ESPN 100, told USA TODAY Sports that he knows four schools he’ll be considering: Washington, Missouri, Virginia and Oklahoma.
On Washington: “I love Seattle and from what I hear Mike Hopkins is that dude so I’m gonna talk to him and see what he’s saying.”
On Missouri: “That’s home for me and they reached out to my dad with a job offer so if he accepts that, not saying I’ll definitely go there, but it’d be big.” Porter did say that he saw new Mizzou coach Cuonzo Martin when Martin met with his father, but they were not allowed to speak because of recruiting rules.  Missouri hired Martin last week and formally introduced him Monday.
On Oklahoma: “They’ve got Trae (Young) and before any commitments happened we talked about being college teammates. Now that opportunity is back and I know we’d do our thing and do something special.”
On Virginia: “I know they’re not super offensive-minded but my best friend Kyle Guy goes there and back when they were recruiting me they always talked about needing a scorer. If I go there I can step into that role.”
Porter said that list could expand after he’s granted his release, which he expects to happen “soon.”
And, yes, Porter is aware of the popular opinion that he’ll end up in Missouri since he’s from there and his dad served as an assistant for the Missouri women before he left to become an assistant under Romar.
Porter was adamant that what his father does won’t be the determining factor in his decision.
“My dad has to do what makes him happy and it’s the same for me,” Porter said. “He knows that. That said, it would be cool to play under my dad because I love him and I trust him and I know he’s got my best interest in mind. I’m taking my time with this process though. I’m gonna look at everything very thorough and make the best decision.”
Follow Jason Jordan on Twitter: @JayJayUSATODAY

Comments